Tuesday 14 July 2015

Sloth-some

Hello! A post mid-week from me to get in to the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - I think I have about 15 hours left! I saw it was Furry Friends and Newton's Nook and as part of my happy mail last week from Make the Day Special was my first set from them - In Slow Motion - I couldn't resist.

I love this set - I've already used it once to decorate an envelope! - so I thought I'd use the sloth - how can a sloth not be a furry friend?

[Supplies: Newton's Nook In Slow Motion; Lawn Fawn Large Stitched Square Lawn Cuts; Memento Tuxedo Black; Versa Magic Hint of Pesto; Ranger Dye Lily Pad; Memento Cottage Ivy; Derwent Artist's Pencils; Caran D'Ache Prismallo Aquarelles; Copic Ciaos]

I had to look up a picture of a sloth on the internet to work out its fur. I stamped the sloth a couple of times to try out what media to colour with. The final result was a strange mixture of Copics, water colour pencil and coloured pencils. The body was coloured in Copics (E57 with C2 on top), with white water colour pencil on the top; the face, claws and branch were then coloured using coloured pencils. 


Here's a little close up of the fur - I think it works quite well!


I then fussy cut him out. I also made a mask of the sloth and then the leaves on a post-it note and cut them out. 

I positioned the sloth post-it on the card and got to stamping the leaves with some of my greens - Versa Magic Hint of Pesto; Memento Cottage Ivy; Ranger Dye Lily Pad - and masking off the ones I wanted to stand out.


After removing the masks, I positioned where I wanted to emboss my stitched square around the sloth, and then stamped the sentiment on the inside. I then ran it through my Grand Calibur - I need to emboss my dies a lot more. I really like the results.


Normally I'd pop the cut out piece up on foam, but I decided I'd like a more one layer card - it's much cheaper on postage! - so just used some double sided tape.


I'm quite impressed I managed this today, but my 4 year old helped me by sharpening my pencils and doing a bit of colouring beside me while her sister had a long nap. 

Thanks so much for reading! Hope your week is going really well.

4 comments:

Lin said...

I think you get the award for the most unusual furry friend, Ruthich! What a fun card - thanks for playing along with us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

Marika said...

Great card, Ruth! Your colouring is amazing and I really love the embossing. Great design!

Pop's Cards said...

Good morning sweetie, this is gorgeous I do love the image and choice of papers and colours, hugs Pops x

Jennifer Jackson said...

Super cute Card! Love how you created the jungle for the sloth to hang out in!!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns