Friday 4 March 2016

Muse Challenge #155 + A Thank You!

Hello Again! How are things with you all, Crafty Chums? We've had loads of snow, but it hasn't lasted long, which for me is great, but for my girls, is really boring. Oh to be that age again and appreciate instead of worry how to get to school without falling over!

But, enough of me waffling about the weather, here is a card inspired by the latest Muse Challenge #155. As soon as I saw the balloons I remembered an idea I had to use my Mama Elephant Up and Away set inspired by E.T. - you'll see what I mean below:


Yep, it's that bit with the bicycles and the moon! This involved a lot of different techniques, from masking to heat embossing and distress ink blending to Copic colouring.

I started by making masks of the fox and the balloons. I then stamped them onto my very last piece of Neenah 110lb card stock (I'm using Crafter's Companion at the moment which is fine for blending, but it isn't very thick so an order to SSS is needed!) with Memento Tuxedo Black and masked them off. Using my WRMK Letterpress as a positioning tool, I stamped the moon on top in London Fog, Ocean Waves and then heat embossed with WOW! Bright White.


I then started some distress ink blending (seedless preserves, chipped sapphire, salty ocean) and was geting really into it when I realised I hadn't masked off the moon....... but you know what, I think it turned out rather nice nonetheless! I did then make a mask for the moon and pounced a little Ranger Glacier White pigment ink onto the card around the images as a bit of a halo.

Once blended, I cut out the panel with a Memory Box stitched rectangle die and then did some Copic colouring - I could do with more orangey browns, but that will have to wait until after Easter. A sentiment heat embossed onto the bottom right hand corner and some white and Wink of Stella dots finished the scene. I simply added it to a white card base.


[Supplies: Mama Elephant Up and Away; Altenew To The Moon; Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 110lb; Distress Inks Chipped Sapphire and Seedless Preserves; Glacier White Pigment Ink; Versamark Ink; Altenew Ocean Waves; Memento Tuxedo Black and London Fog; Copic Markers - E18, E55, E57, R35, R37, R59; Memory Box Stitched Rectangles; WRMK Letterpress Kit; WRMK Evolution Die Cutting Machine;]

I also wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who commented so positively on my craft room tour video. I now have 10 You Tube subscribers - you crazy (but lovely!) people! I have been working on trying out videos, but as a chaotic crafter with limited time, it's taking me a while to get used to. I also need to work on my set up. I did actually make a video of a similar card to this and was quite pleased with the results until about 5 minutes into the replay I realised you couldn't see half of what I was doing!!! It's a definite learning curve. But I want to get it right for you, so I hope you'll all bear with me.

Oh and I hope you like the new design? I sold a Tattered Lace die and bought a Blogger template. Win win!

Thank you as always for reading and for your wonderful comments. Have a very wonderful weekend whatever you are up to.

14 comments:

Mandy said...

What a fab card Ruth, loving the background and your moon looks just perfect! x

Stephanie said...

Really sweet card! I love his white-tipped tail and the beautiful red balloons! The moon came out really gorgeous despite not masking it! It looks perfect, really!! I think your new blog template looks awesome!! Really clean and fun ^_^. I look forward to any videos you put out in the future!! xx Stephanie

Aileen said...

Wow the blog looks brilliant, well done you.
I love your card and all the techniques. You would laugh if you could see me right now as I am just finishing off a balloon card too for the same challenge. Mine is one of those where I did the balloons a while ago and it was just sitting there and then ideas just started to come.
Nowhere near as involved or beautiful as yours but just funny we should be having the same ideas. Take care, first week of Autumn and so hot it still feels like middle of summer. Only difference is the sun comes up later and goes down a little earlier.

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Hi Ruth my friend! Yes, I immediately noticed the new look blog . . . very professional looking, and to get it in exchange for a die you no longer use . . . RESULT! What an amazing card you ave here, with all those wonderful techniques! So clever! Have A wonderful weekend my friend! Hazel xx
My Card Attic

ElizStewart said...

I love the moon....so clever!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Amazing! Your crafting just keeps getting better and better!!

Unknown said...

Great card, you've combined the different techniques beautifully. Your blog's looking good too. Karen x

Anonymous said...

This is so cute and so clever. Well worth all the work you put in. I love the distress background you have made, gorgeous colour combination. I am off to find your craft room tour next... Cx

Jenni's Jems said...

Wow this one popped of the thumbnails for me and I can clearly see where the inspiration came from :) x

Ardyth said...

That is a great scene to go with that sentiment - I'm not sure they had outer space in mind when they wrote it, but it makes for a fun card for sure! So glad you joined us at Muse this week!

Deni(se) said...

Now that's what I call a FAR OUT balloon ride. Very original and adorable.

Missy Pink said...

WOW!! I love this card Ruth, Wonderful sentiment and beautifully coloured in and just perfect. Hugs Missy Pink x

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, I love this!

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Trying to catch up here - what a gorgeous card - that moon - swoon! And that little fox with all those balloons is just super cute!

Blog design by aleelilydesigns