Wednesday 21 November 2018

Alcohol Ink Lift technique with Copic Refills - VIDEO

I've been MICA (Missing In Crafty Action) for a few weeks as I've been working on finishing off stock for my Etsy shop and adding listings. Nobody should ever think Etsy is just take a photo, stick it in your shop and it will sell. You have to know what you are doing and I am very grateful to have the help of Jewellery and Gems with it. Getting my head around all that is needed to get noticed and to get sales on top of looking after the girls and the household just about finished me off last week!

Onwards and upwards! It's nice to be able to switch crafts from time to time, so I had a good play with some Copic refills, acetate, card and some large stamps trying out the Alcohol Ink Lift Technique I've seen in passing - Teresa Morgan's video is very good. I know Ranger and Tim Holtz have come out with an alcohol ink lift stamp pad, but these days all my money goes on fabric, so I decided to try it with my Copic refills and some colourless blender as well as the copic cleaner.




I have a video of how I got on. Of course, during the process, my video camera died, so I had to scrabble around for the charger and the best results I had have been lost, but I hope you still find the other footage useful. Please remember that YouTube is a third party and as such you may want to look at its privacy policy if you have any concerns about cookies being placed on your machine. 



What I've learnt is:

Colourless Blender is best - the cleaner pushes the ink away too much
A detailed stamps works better than a semi solid stamp
Acetate works quite well, but it can take a while to dry, and it does leave it a bit sticky
Don't put foil flakes on...... see video as to why!
Don't put too much colourless blender on your sponge when using with stencils
Have fun making a mess - I know Michelle Short uses gloves and now I know why!!


When it works it works really really nicely and I have three finished projects as you can see. I even made a shaker having seen Lisa's recent fantastic efforts. It's been a while!


Have you ever tried this?? It was a really great session! I've seen people using gelli plates with alcohol ink too, so maybe that's also something to try. Happy crafting everyone!

3 comments:

Michelle Short said...

Looks like so much fun, Ruth! And that’s what crafting should be :) I love the finished projects you have made. The butterfly shaker looks wonderful. I love the blues. Oh and yes, wear gloves! Haha! xx

Lisa T said...

Great to see you playing around with what you have Ruth and seeing what results you get with your supplies, rather than rushing out and buying new stuff. The butterfly turned out beautifully I thought, really pretty end result. Don't give up on the flakes, they can add a beautiful touch to a project, maybe just avoid the stencils, or try adding it on afterwards if there is enough "stick" left in the ink. Definitely wear gloves and be prepared to use a lot of baby wipes! Thanks for the shoutout - your shaker was so pretty and it's fun to use all those sequins we hoard :) Lisa xx

maria f. said...

Ooohhh. Look at you getting all inky. I really love the way the butterfly lifted off on the shaker card. Dreamy. Best of luck to you with your new endeavor. Hope you get lots of sales.

Blog design by aleelilydesigns