Tuesday 30 April 2019

Hunky Dory - Card stock and Toppers Review

Hello! I'm back again today with more from Hunky Dory. This time I chose a block of card stock - Ink Me! 6" x 6" Essential Card Block - and a packet of toppers - Watercolour Wings Topper Deck. Toppers are not something I would naturally choose, as I am more of a stamp and colour girl, but I like to try new things and thought it would be good to have something different to review.


I tried several things with the Ink Me! card block. I really like the size as I can cut it down to size for a standard US A2 or UK C5 card blank without too much wastage. It is also a nice thickness and very smooth, so I tried both ink blending and some Copic colouring:

1. Ink Blending with Distress Inks and Distress Oxides with Stencils


I had a play around with various distress inks and oxides and a couple of stencils. They were really easy to use with both a blending tool and my ink duster. I used some stencils from my stash from Funky Fossil Designs and Clearly Besotted Stamps and they worked really well. The ink went on nicely, didn't smear and I blended two colours together easily. I used Spun Sugar on one and managed to build up layers easily to get a darker colour. 

I now have several of these pretty butterfly bride to make up into cards - perfect for birthdays, weddings, engagements. I do love a good stencil session!

2. Toppers and a card


  Part of the reason I got the topper pack was because I loved the designs. I am a huge fan of owls and when I saw the watercolour designs, I thought they could be used for lots of different projects - and even be cut out - I do love a bit of fussy cutting.

On this card, I took a card blank from my stash (a C5) and cut the stencilled background I'd made from the previous stencil session (birch tree background) down to size to fit. I adhered it with some double sided tape. As I already had my distress inks out, I decided to do something I rarely ever do, distress ink the edges. I thought this went so well, I inked up the edges of my card blank as well. I then attached the topper onto the background with some foam pads. Easy as pie and I really like the outcome.

The toppers are also a really nice quality card, the designs very pleasing on the eye - watercolouring being quite the thing at the moment - and they can be easily made up into cards.

I used my own card blanks, but Hunky Dory also have a range you can use to make your final cards with:

https://www.hunkydorycrafts.co.uk/papercraft/card-making-supplies/card-blanks.html 

3. Copic Colouring

  I do a lot of Copic colouring and use speciality cardstock for it, but I always like to try any new card, especially if it's nice and smooth, which the Ink Me! is. I wouldn't recommend it solely for Copic Colouring, but I managed a decent blend on this Stamping Bella image without much bleeding, which I find can get with Neenah, the alternative I sometimes use. I definitely wouldn't dismiss it for the Copics, for quick colouring, if you have it to hand.

A thank you to Hunky Dory Crafts for having me and for giving me the products to review. None of my links are affiliates and my views on the products are entirely my own. I hope you've found this useful, and if you have any questions, please leave me a comment or drop me an email.

2 comments:

Lisa T said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these additional products Ruth. As you say its always nice to try and new cardstock for Copic colouring as you never know how it's going to react. I think the stencilled cards look so pretty and will make lovely engagement, wedding cards when you add a sentiment. Also I never distress ink my edges but you are right, they suit the watercolour toppers down to the ground. And that birch stencil was a perfect backdrop! xx

Darnell said...

You're doing great reviews, Ruth! I want to buy everything, lol! Awesome self-portrait of the lavender eye bag, too! Thank you for all the information and inspiration!! Hugs, Darnell

Blog design by aleelilydesigns