Tuesday, 28 July 2026

How I Upcycled an Old Frame Into a White Board

Funny what you end up with when you go to the tip to throw out some things from your garden. In my case I swapped a hose with a hole in it for a print of Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. 

The print wasn't up to much, but the frame was fabulous and I had a sudden flash of inspiration to turn it into a whiteboard for the Crafty Basement. 

Of course it took me a good few weeks of overthinking it, but the end result is, I think, a fabulous addition to the craftroom and am very pleased with how it turned out. Here's how I did it:

1. After cleaning it with some alcohol I use for cleaning my Copic markers, I took the picture out of the frame - turns out it was just a piece of board with the image printed on top - and covered the print with some Fablon Sticky Back Whiteboard plastic I found in Hobbycraft

3. I had to cut it into two main strips and a small piece to cover the corner. I smoothed it out with the edge of an old credit card and polished it over with a cloth. I found that the join isn't really an issue at all and hardly noticeable.




4. Following the instructions, I had cut excess around the edge and now folded it over and using a warm iron, attached it to the back of the print.


5. I then simply put it back into the main frame.


6. As an addition, I wanted to be able to attach some of my loose dies to it, so I found some magnetic A4 sheets I bought many years ago, and using some double sided tape, attached it to the back of the sheets and stuck them to the front of the board.


After thinking about it for a good couple of months, the whole project only took me about 45 minutes to do and as always, I wished I'd done it sooner!

I attached it to the wall using some 3M strips as we can't use any pins or picture hangers on the wall as this could damage the special membrane behind it. So far it's staying up nicely.

I hope you enjoyed this project - a little something different!

Have a crafty week!





No comments:

Blog design by aleelilydesigns